What Is The Best Blender For Smoothies?
Top Smoothie Blenders Of 2016
|Picture||Brand or Model||Feature 1||Feature 2||Our Rating /5||Price Guide|
|Ninja Professional Blender||1000-1200 watt motor||72 oz. container - make enough for a family||4.2||Moderate|
|Nutri Ninja Pro||Compact size - easy for storage||Extremely easy to clean||4.1||Moderate|
|Vitamix Professional Series 750 Blender||2.2 Horsepower Motor||Stainless steel blades||5||High|
|Vitamix 5200||Variable Speed Control||5-year warranty||4.5||Moderate
|Oster Beehive Blender||1000 watt motor||4 stainless steel blades||4||Moderate|
|Magic Bullet NutriBullet||600-Watt Motor||Easily breaks down any ingredient||4||Low|
A basic blender might let you make smoothie recipes that include frozen fruit or ice, but many of them do not have the features that users need for consistent use over the years. If you plan to make smoothies regularly, then you may need to choose a blender that's specifically designed for liquefying frozen fruits and other ingredients.
The top rated blender for smoothies will usually cost a little more than the basic models sold at big box retailers. Over several years, though, the price of buying a quality blender is often cheaper than buying inexpensive options that will break when forced to blend hard, frozen ingredients.
Spending a lot of money does not necessarily mean that you will get the best smoothie blender. Reading several smoothie blender reviews should help you decide which models have the features you need at prices you can afford. That may mean that the best smoothie maker for one person is not the right model for someone else.
As long as you do some research, you should find a blender that includes the features you want most without going over budget.
Common Features of Good Smoothie Blenders
Top-of-the-line smoothie makers like the Vitamix 750 and Blendtec Designer Series usually come with features that help make smoothies from frozen ingredients. Learn more about the benefits of these features so you can choose the perfect blender for smoothies.
- Manual Speed Control - Many people prefer manual speed control over pre-set controls that give them limited options. A manual control lets you slowly increase the blender's speed. Anyone who has had problems making smoothies in regular blenders should immediately see how this benefits them. By slowly increasing the motor's speed, users prevent the "tornado effect" that can make it difficult to blend smoothies evenly. Blenders that immediately jump into action can make large air bubbles inside the pitcher. This prevents the liquids and frozen ingredients from circulating, which often leads to chunky smoothies that are difficult to drink.
- Large Pitcher - Even if you plan to make small smoothies, it often helps to have a large pitcher. Frozen ingredients are usually rather large when added to the pitcher. They get smaller when liquefied, but you still need enough room for them before you start blending. A large pitcher also helps ensure that you have enough room to make smoothies for everyone in the household.
- Tamper - Even the highest quality blenders can have problems circulating large, frozen ingredients. A tamper lets you push those bits to the bottom, where the blades can liquefy them so you get truly smooth smoothies. Without a tamper, many people turn to other kitchen items, such as wooden spoons, that can damage the blender's blades.
- Multi-prong Blades - The type of blades you need may depend on how you make a smoothie in your house. If you add ice and other hard ingredients, you will probably need multi-prong blades designed to crush and liquefy them. Blades that aren't designed for blending ice can get damaged when used too aggressively.
If you look for these features, you should find a blender that matches your needs.
Many experts recognize the Vitamix 750 as the top smoothie blender. The blender includes all of the most important features that you need for frozen ingredients. Some of the most noteworthy features of the Vitamix 750 include:
- Dial for manually controlling speed
- Eight-cup pitcher
- Pulse function
- Cleaning function
The Vitamix 750 is an extremely durable blender that doesn't hesitate to liquefy anything thrown into it. It even comes with a seven-year warranty. As long as you don't try to blend rocks, the company will replace malfunctioning parts. Most blenders come with one- or two-year warranties. The seven-year warranty shows how much faith Vitamix has in its product.
Read our full Vitamix 750 Review.
Some consumers may not like that the Vitamix 750 comes with a plastic pitcher instead of one made of glass. Plastic offers some advantages, though. For instance, if you drop the pitcher, it won't shatter like a glass one. Some people, however, just prefer glass. You can always replace the plastic pitcher if that's a deal-breaker for you. The motor, blades, and interface always matter more than the pitcher.
The Blendtec Designer Series, which includes the 725, 625, and 675 models, takes a slightly different approach to making great smoothies. The Blendtec model features include:
- Manual speed control
- Touchpad interface
- 1,560-watt motor
- Pulse function
Blendtec is the blender of choice for people who like sleek, high-tech kitchen equipment. Instead of a dial control, it comes with a touchpad that lets you change the motor's speed by moving your finger left or right. The user interface also has vivid icons to let you know what setting you're using.
The Designer Series doesn't come with a tamper because Blendtec claims its motor has enough power to make smoothies and other recipes without one. Blendtec says the strong motor makes it possible to use the blender as a coffee grinder, latte machine, and ice cream maker. It's an extremely versatile machine that can improve practically any kitchen.
The Blendtec Designer Series comes with a seven-year warranty that protects users from faulty equipment.
Blendtec boasts a shorter height that may make it more useful and attractive than the Vitamix 750. If you don't have a lot of room on your counter, then you may prefer the Blendtec. This, of course, has to do with your personal setup and preferences.
Any blender made by Vitamix or Blendtec can make excellent smoothies without creating a big mess. They're extremely efficient, durable machines built to last at least a decade. If you want to invest in a blender that makes some of the best smoothies, these are perfect options. They cost a little more than the average blender, but their durability may actually help you save money over the years.
It should be noted that there are some less-expensive blenders on the market that will work great for making smoothies. For example, the Ninja Pro is a great option. It typically runs around $115 and has some very nice specs which allow it to make a great smoothie. Reading a side-by-side comparison with a Vitamix will give you a good idea of how it stacks up to the top smoothie blenders!